Getting Your Home Ready for Cooler Temperatures
The last thing homeowners in Mechanicsville, MD, want is to head into winter worrying about their heating equipment. HVAC maintenance and weatherization should top your fall to-do list to get your home ready for cooler temperatures.
A fall tune-up maintains your heater’s efficiency, extends its lifespan, and reduces the chances of a costly — and uncomfortable — furnace repair in the dead of winter. Here are a few things you can do to get your equipment ready for a Maryland winter:
- Clean or replace your HVAC filter.
- Inspect your furnace flue.
- Clean registers and vents.
- Reset your thermostat for winter settings.
- Cover the outside condenser unit on your central AC unit.
- Schedule a furnace tune-up.
Weatherize Your Home
Once your heating equipment is ready to go, weatherizing goes a long way toward retaining the warmth and comfort your furnace generates. Since doors and windows are the biggest culprits in reducing your home’s energy efficiency, caulking and weather-stripping around your windows and doors are the priority. It’s a simple and easy task, and you’ll recoup the cost in one year through lower energy bills. Here are additional weatherization tips to keep the heat in and the cold out of your Maryland home:
- Seal switches and outlets on exterior walls to prevent air leaks.
- Check your fireplace damper to ensure it works properly and is undamaged by fallen debris.
- Insulate unheated crawlspaces and attics.
- Replace insulation if it’s wet, crumpled, or damaged.
- Clean your gutters to prevent ice dam formation.
- Examine and wrap or insulate pipes to keep them from freezing, especially in unheated areas such as a garage, basement, and attic.
You’ll have to tackle your home weatherization projects, but Hancock Refrigeration Heating & Air Conditioning can help with your HVAC maintenance before cooler temperatures arrive. Give us a call today. We’ll ensure that your furnace is ready for those cold winter days.